Irrfan made his debut with a small role in Salaam Bombay (1988). He was critically acclaimed for his acting in movies such as Haasil (2003), Maqbool (2004), The Namesake (2006) etc,. But Paan Singh Tomar (2011) was the movie which fetched him fame and accolades. Irrfan Khan awards for Paan Singh Tomar (2011) include the National Award, an Asian Film Award and four Filmfare awards. He was awarded the Padma Shri, India’s fourth highest civilian honor in 2011.
But some lesser known and interesting Irrfan Khan facts are-
- His full name is Sahabzade Irfan Ali Khan, but he was professionally known as Irrfan Khan.
- He was inclined towards Cricket and not movies. Yes, he wanted to become a cricketer.
- Most people know that Irrfan’s first movie role was in Salaam Bombay (1988) for which he was selected when he was in his final year of NSD by Mira Nair. But very few know that the major chunk of his role was edited out of the film. In simple words his scenes didn’t make it to the final cut.
- He added an extra ‘R’ to his initial name Irfan. And the name became ‘Irrfan’. On being asked why he added the extra ‘R’, he simply said that he liked the sound of extra ‘R’ in his name.
- In a debate on a very famous news channel Irrfan taught a famous Maulvi the meaning of a real Indian Muslim and shut his mouth. Irrfan’s snipped video was viral soon.
- Irrfan removed ‘Khan’ from his name. The reason was that he wanted his work to define him and not his lineage.
- Irrfan wanted to gift his Mother a suitcase full of Money.
- According to Irrfan, the Superstar of Bollywood, Amitabh Bachchan’s best role in his entire career was the one he played in Piku.
- Irrfan landed on his first job in Mumbai as an air condition repair man.
- Despite being famous in Hollywood he was detained at the Los Angeles airport in 2008 and at New York airport in 2009 because of his name.